GUINNESS BROWN BREAD:
450g/1lb Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
2 level teaspoons Bread Soda
25g/1oz Odlums Pinhead Porridge Oats
4 tablespoons Demerara Sugar
100g packet Chopped Walnuts (optional)
1 tablespoon Treacle
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
2. Put margarine and treacle into a saucepan over a low heat and allow the margarine to melt.
3. Meanwhile, put the wholemeal, pinhead oats, sugar and chopped walnuts into a bowl. Sieve in the bread soda and mix well.
4. When the margarine has melted, add the Guinness and stir.
5. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well. Transfer mixture to prepared tin and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes until risen and when tapped underneath has a hollow sound.
6. Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
Allow 1 day before cutting.