One-quarter teaspoon sugar
2 eggs, beaten
8 fluid oz. milk
Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl, and make a well in the center. Add the salt and beaten eggs to the well, then a little milk. Whisk together until thick and creamy, making sure there are no lumps. Add the remaining milk, whisk again, and then leave to stand for 30 minutes.
To cook the pancakes, you will need a good heavy-based non-stick pan, a pot of boiling water with a plate on top and a lid, to keep your pancakes hot. Paint a very thin coating of oil on your pan (best done with a basting brush). Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons batter into the center of the pan. Tilt the pan until it is completely covered. Cook for a minute, or until set, then turn the pancake over (flip it if you can), and cook for 30 seconds. Lift out of the pan and place flat on the plate on top of the boiling water, and cover with the lid. Repeat this process until all the batter is gone.
Roll up with lemon juice and a sprinkling of sugar inside, or with ice cream as a dessert, or for tea, with butter, jam or honey.
Guinness Pancakes with Crispy Bacon and Cheese:
(Makes 8 to 10 pancakes)
5 oz. plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
9 fl oz. Guinness (approximately)
1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp vegetable oil
(For the topping)
4-6 rashers of dry-cured bacon
knob/pat of butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 heaped tbsp. grated sharp mature cheddar
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (eg: chives, parsley, basil)
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, eggs and thyme with enough Guinness to create a thickish batter with a drop scone consistency.
2. Heat a little oil in a large, flat non-stick frying pan. When the oil is almost smoking pour in 2-3 ladlefuls of the batter.
3. Cook over a medium heat until bubbles appear on the surface and the underside is brown (3-5 minutes). Turn over and brown the other side. Continue until you have 8-10 pancakes and keep warm.
4. Fry the bacon with a little butter and oil until crisp. Mix together the cheese and chopped herbs.
5. Arrange the pancakes on a warm plate, scatter with the cheese mixture and top with the hot bacon. Serve at once.